Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Race mess

This week's Team Tough Chik blog is 'your best/worst race'.  Most of my races have been amazing.  I think my only bad experience was 2010 Baltimore Half Marathon.

I should start out by saying my training for this race was questionable.  It consisted of me doing nothing during the week then going for a long run on the weekends.  I increased my long run mileage each weekend without running during the week.  Clearly this is a recipe for disaster.

Of course I was hurt as I walked up to the starting line.  The whole right side of my body was tight and messed up.  I should back up. Before I get to the starting line.  Pnut really wanted to be a part of the race, so Brian agreed to take her to do the Kids Fun Run.  I'm not sure anything about it was fun.  I had to go to the start before she ran.  She was crying when I left.  Turns out she walked most of it, in tears, holding on to Brian.  In her defense, there were SOOOO many people there and when you are 3 feet tall, that has to be scary.

So, Brian took care of the Fun Run and was left to entertain Pnut while I ran.  Not an easy task.  He was pretty happy when I hobbled up to him (almost 2 and a half hours later) after the race.

I started faster than I should have.   I am so pumped up on adrenaline at the start of races, it's hard to hold back.  This didn't last too long.  About 3 miles in  I was in a lot of pain.  Later, Brian asked why I didn't stop.  I honestly thought about it but I didn't know how I would get back to the car.  I walked a lot.  I almost cried.  Not because of the pain, but because it was such a miserable experience.

I crossed the finish line and found Brian and Pnut.  Brian was grumpy.  I was hurt and grumpy.  Pnut had made a friend and she was crazy hyper and didn't want to leave.  A perfect end to a horrible race.

There were a couple of good things about this race.  First, I ended up with my sisters bib (and timing chip) and she had mine.  She ran about 25 minutes faster :)  Second, my friends Karen and Enrique had an awesome party that night.  We sat outside eating awesome food and drinking fabulous wine.

That experience taught me several things:
  • Do not start a race if you are so unprepared you will end up getting hurt.
  • Do not take kids to large races 
  • If possible, take a faster person's timing chip
  • Always celebrate your accomplishments (A half marathon is a half marathon. Even if it is slow and painful) 

3 comments:

  1. I love, "If it possible get a faster person's timing chip." Classic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, especially the faster persons timing chip. I am a slow and steady runner and will never break any records. Good advice on not taking the kids. I haven't done a long race yet, but I am sure my husband would be miserable waiting for me with two little one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right...any finish is a finish to celebrate. Even if you are just glad it's over. :-)

    ReplyDelete