Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Damn Food!

I sometimes have a hard time figuring out my priorities.  I do know that my top priority is my family.  I have a lot going on in that department right now.  I don't mind being busy with family things.  What is hard is when I have so much going on and I don't know what I'm doing.  I end up wasting a whole lot of time and energy with nothing to show for it.

That's how this week has felt. Little Dude's stomach problems are back, I think.  I'm still trying to figure out how pooping 5 times a day can be a sign of constipation, but I'll take the doctor's word.  I decided to cut out dairy in his diet because it seems like a big culprit of stomach issues.  I'm also still trying to keep all of us away from processed food.  This really limits LD's menu.  I'm thinking he's consumed 200 calories in the last 2 days.  All of those coming from pear juice and all the medicine he's taking.  I'm starting to wonder how this new diet could possibly be helpful.  He's not pooping as much, but really, what's in his body to come out?  Everyone says he will eat when he's hungry but I'm not sure.  He's a stubborn little boy.  I spend most of my day trying to make healthy foods for him to eat and he eats none of it.  I'm spending a ton of time and energy and I don't know if it's making a difference.

I spend almost as much time at the grocery store as I do cooking food that no one eats. Walking around looking for healthy food, that my family will eat, is painful.  Especially if I do this with the kids.  Pnut says "On tv they said this (insert crappy sugar cereal) is good for you."  I spend a few minutes explaining why it is not good for you, and listening to the whining, and then try to get out as fast as possible. I end up with a cart of stuff, all of which requires me to make it, in order for us to eat it.  I don't have enough time to make everything.  There are no quick snacks.

Which leads me to my most difficult part of the day; The few minutes before I have to leave to get Pnut from school.  I created a monster by giving her a snack when I pick her up.  If I don't have a snack it's an ugly ride home.  Unprocessed snacks that are easy to eat in the car?  If you know of any PLEASE tell me.   Popcorn has been my go to.  They are sick of it already.  I made granola "bars" yesterday. They never turned into bars so it's just granola.  That would be a giant mess in the car. So, I spent time and energy making granola bars for an after school snack and it didn't work.  I still had no snack. A waste of time and energy.

On the bright side, I've been eating like I'd want the rest of the family to eat.  It's not as hard for me.  I'm actually enjoying it.  I started Monday and I feel great. other I'm also fairly certain I've lost weight around my waist. Or maybe I'm just not bloated.  Either way, I like it.  I have always been good about getting exercise but I've slacked off on the nutrition side.  I'm hoping this is a new start.

I'm going to keep it up and hope the family doesn't mutiny.  I hope that it will get easier for me, and the kids will get used to it.  I told Brian I wouldn't talk about him in my blog, but I feel like I should mention he is on board and that is a huge help.

No comments:

Post a Comment